Sita Sings the Blues :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

Sita Sings the Blues :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews: "Sita Sings the Blues (No MPAA rating)
Ebert: Users:

Sita Sings the Blues

/ / / April 29, 2009



Cast & Credits
Shadow Distribution presents a film produced, written, directed and animated by Nina Paley. Songs by Annette Hanshaw. Running time: 82 minutes. No MPAA rating. At the Gene Siskel Film Center, May 1-7.

Printer-friendly »
E-mail this to a friend »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

by Roger Ebert

I got a DVD in the mail, an animated film titled 'Sita Sings the Blues.' It was an version of the epic Indian tale of Ramayana set to the 1920's jazz vocals of Annette Hanshaw. Uh, huh. I carefully filed it with other movies I will watch when they introduce the 8-day week. Then I was told I must see it.

I began. I was enchanted. I was swept away. I was smiling from one end of the film to the other. It is astonishingly original. It brings together four entirely separate elements and combines them into a great whimsical chord. How did Paley's mind work?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SourceForge vs. Freshmeat | Tech FAQ Blog